Christian Formation Workshop 2018
Developing a Small Group Culture in Your Church
The diocesan Christian Formation Commission is presenting its annual workshop for Christian educators from 9 a.m. to Noon on Saturday, February 3, at Church of the Incarnation, 3966 McKinney Ave., Dallas. Our keynote speaker, the Rev. Charlie Holt, is Associate Rector of Teaching and Formation at St. John the Divine, Houston, and president of Bible Study Media. Holt is the creator of numerous curricula designed especially for Episcopal parishes, including The Christian Life trilogy for adult education and the Hearts Alive lectionary-based children's curriculum. His topic, "Developing a Small Group Culture," is drawn from his own experience as a rector and curriculum designer. Holt will also lead a breakout session on the parish educational materials he and his team have created.
Breakout sessions and/or information tables will cover a number of topics related to Christian education for all ages:
- Volunteer recruitment and retention: Amanda Payne, St. James, Dallas
- Equipping parents to bring faith home: The Rev. Joe Hermerding, Incarnation, Dallas
- Leading inter-generational faith formation experiences: Rita Woods, St. Paul's, Greenville
- Godly Play: leader TBA
- Catechesis of the Good Shepherd: Sarah Jo Skinner, St. Matthew's Cathedral, Dallas
- 2018 VBS materials: Cokesbury and Bible Study Media tables available
- Spanish-language formation: leader TBA
- Building genuine, lasting faith in youth/teenagers: Amanda Payne, St. James, Dallas
- We know that Christian educators are busy with many parish programs that cover the spiritual formation needs of parishioners of all ages. This workshop is for everyone involved with the ministry of Christian formation: clergy, lay staff members, Sunday school teachers, small group leaders, and everyone else with a heart for forming all ages as disciples of Jesus. So, whether it's building faith with families, planning adult formation classes, answering questions about Godly Play, or organizing Vacation Bible School, this event is for you and your church’s educator team.
As in previous years, we will have a limited number of free VBS kits available for your congregation. Materials will be available at the workshop, and representatives will be present to answer your questions.
Please bring a team from your church! There is no charge for this event, but the organizers would like to know how many are coming from each church. You mayregister online here, or contact Kim LaNore, 214-826-8310 or Doors open for check-in at 8:30am, and information tables will have representatives until 12:30pm (e.g., Cokesbury, EDOD resource center, evangelism initiative).