Memorial Service for Steve McKenney
Samuel Stephen (Steve) McKenney III was born August 7, 1937 in San Angelo, Texas to Andre Edna Stieren and Samuel Stephen McKenney Jr. Steve graduated from Hillcrest High School in 1955 and from Texas A&M University in 1959 with a B.S. Degree in Industrial Distribution. Briggs-Weaver offered him a scholarship while working summers during college and he returned to work there after graduation and 6 months active duty in the U.S. Army. He resigned in 1983 to start Emprinte, a Dallas based media company and in 1987, introduced Traffic Graphics, a new mobile advertising medium.
Steve served as board chair of both the Texas A&M Research Foundation and the Texas Association of Business. He served on the boards of directors of Frozen Food Express Industries, Texas American Bank-Dallas, and Fibergrate Manufacturing Co. He was a member of the Dallas Chapter of Young Presidents' Organization.
Steve attended St. Michael and All Angels Episcopal Church for 42 years where he was active in Cursillo, Prayer Ministry, Greeter, Acolyte, Men's Bible Study, Farmers Market and on the Vestry. He was married to Mary Ruth Lang Purcell in 1979 and is the father of five children: Kay Shumake Grinnan (Rick), Jan McKenney Parkhill (Mike), Jeffrey Stephen McKenney (Renee), Shannon Purcell Thompson (Kenton), Jennifer Elise Purcell Currie (Ryan) and 9 grandchildren.
Steve enjoyed playing golf with great friends at Royal Oaks Country Club, sailing, assisting Bible Study at The Bridge, and being uplifted with his group, God's Joyful Fellows. He loved big, lived life to the fullest and was most often seen with and known for that big smile on his face. Steve delighted in his family, the fightin' Texas Aggies, remembering Harley motorcycle riding and trips with the guys and the one "Dude."
Memorial service is scheduled for 10 a.m., October 16, at St. Michael and All Angels, 8011 Douglas, Dallas. A reception will follow the service. Should you wish to honor Steve and his family, in lieu of flowers, please consider a memorial gift to St. Michael and All Angels Episcopal Church.